Monday, June 13, 2016

June 2, 2016 - Case Falls and Emily Falls

Today's outing was to find 2 of the new waterfalls in Kevin Adams' new North Carolina Waterfalls book - Case Falls and Emily Falls. According to the book, both looked like they would be fairly easy to find and they weren't too far from my house.

Both waterfalls are off of Big Hungry Rd near Hendersonville and I decided to do Case Falls first since it was the closest. Directions and more info cam be found on my site here. Parking for hikers is right next to a gated lot used by kayakers that are accessing the Green River. The waterfall is very close to the parking lot, but you can't see it from the trail. I wonder how many of the boaters know that it's there. It's not a waterfall that I would visit just to hang out, but it's a nice photo subject and I had it all to myself. Here's a bit of video and then some photos.








From here it's only about 4 miles to the parking for Emily Falls. This area is part of the Green River Gamelands and it looked like there have been some improvements here in the last few years. The topo map shows parts of this area to be very steep with some hard to get to creeks, so I'll have to come back to do some more exploring. The parking area for Emily Falls was very easy to find and you can read about it here on this page of my site. The hike to the waterfall is easy and only about 1/4 mile, but it takes you through some maintained wildlife clearings, so I would stay away during hunting season. When I was there, a couple of guys with tractors were planting something and tending the fields. The waterfall isn't that big, but is in a nice setting with a little swimming hole. Both waterfalls made for a nice 1/2 day outing!



No comments:

Post a Comment