Friday, July 8, 2016

June 27, 2016 - waterfalls on Sam Branch and in Wash Hollow

It's been years since I have been to the upper reaches of Sam Branch and I thought today would be a good day to do it again. Water levels in the area are down due to a lack of rain which would make the trek a little easier since a good portion of this is a bushwhack up the creek. There's a lower waterfall on Sam Branch that I have directions to on my site here and this is the same point from which I began the hike today. Wash Hollow Falls is also accessed from this same parking spot.

It rained a bit before I got to Sam Branch which made the going very slippery. I don't give directions on my site to the upper waterfalls on Sam Branch, but as soon as you cross the creek heading towards Wash Hollow, there's a really steep rock face to climb, then a steep section of muddy and slippery trail to get up. Not many people go up here, so it's not really much of a trail.

This trail ends not too far up, so it was soon time to hit the creek and start climbing boulders. This is the 1st area I got to that was photo worthy.



The cascades in the first photo are small, but the upper drop in the second photo is about 10' high. Not too far above this is another waterfall - maybe a 15 to 20 footer.



I finished shooting it and was getting ready to find a way up past this when it started raining like crazy. It let up a bit after about 10 minutes, but I had to decide whether or not I wanted to continue. The forecast called for on and off storms all day and I had no way of telling what was in the area. I opted to play it safe and head back down. This was really disappointing as the wet rocks make for excellent photos. The wet really brings out the colors in the rocks, especially if you add a polarizing filter to the lens. Wet rocks are also really slippery and I'd like to enjoy my retirement a bit longer before I die.

Of course, once I got back down, the sun was peeking in and out of the clouds. Since I was already here, I went over and checked out Wash Hollow Falls. The flow of the falls was way down, but the rock wall was wet and colorful.










I spent about an hour here shooting before the next storm hit - and it was a gusher. I was scurrying around putting gear away to keep it dry and got soaked in the process. After about 15 minutes huddled under my poncho, the rain let up again and it was time to head back to the car. I got to Sam Branch Falls and just had to stop for one last photo. I'll try again for the upper stuff on a drier day.


I shot some video along Sam Branch, but I'm going to wait to put together a video until I have footage of more of the creek. For now, here's what I shot at Wash Hollow Falls.




1 comment:

  1. One day I am going to work up my nerve to try and make it all the way to that upper waterfall on Sam Branch. I have been wanting to see it up close for about 10 years now.

    ReplyDelete