Friday, August 19, 2016

August 1, 2016 - DEW Falls and White Owl Falls

Today I decided to revisit 3 waterfalls I hadn't been to in a while - DEW, Johns Jump, and White Owl Falls. All 3 are very close and don't require much hiking. You can find directions to all 3 falls on this page of my site. All 3 waterfalls are small, but nice to visit and make good photo subjects with the right conditions.

I began the day at DEW Falls and had the waterfall to myself. It wasn't supposed to rain until later in the day, but late morning the skies were already fairly dark. I had just started shooting when the first rain drops began to fall, so I quickly got the camera back in the bag and pack and covered the pack. I had just got my poncho on when it started raining harder - and harder. Since it was warm out, I really didn't mind. Actually, the photos turn out better when all the rocks and foliage are wet and you use a polarizing filter to cut the glare. After almost an hour of steady rain, it let up enough for me to get the camera back out.



DEW Falls
 
I could have stayed longer, but I got a late start and didn't want to be out all day. The skies were also showing signs of clearing - not good for photography - so I opted to skip Johns Jump Falls and head to White Owl Falls. White Owl is one of my favorite small waterfalls. I really like the way the water flows over the rock. Back in 2010, a live tree fell over right in front of the waterfall ruining the chance of any good shots. People slowly sawed away at the limbs until now all that's left is the trunk on the left side of the falls. I got lucky here. The skies stayed overcast just long enough for me to get a few shots and video. Once it cleared, I was done shooting for the day and headed back to the house.





White Owl Falls







No comments:

Post a Comment