Monday, August 22, 2016

August 5, 2016 - Slick Rock Falls - Pisgah National Forest

I've been revisiting some of the better known waterfalls for updated photos and trail conditions, and also to try to get better video that I can use on my web site. I'd like to have a video of each waterfall I have on the site, but going back to all of them will be a major task. Today I picked Slick Rock Falls to begin with. I thought I'd be in and out in no time, then move on to another waterfall. I should have known better.

Directions to Slick Rock Falls can be found on this page of my web site. The waterfall can be seen from the forest road, but a very short hike up to the waterfall is necessary to get photos. I had the waterfall to myself which is always nice. Before anyone else showed up, I headed behind the falls to the cave area so I could get those shots without people. I spent quite a bit of time back there setting up shots and waiting for the sun to be covered by clouds.




From there I moved to the front of the waterfall, snapped a few quick ones and shot some video while the sun was hidden. It was directly above the waterfall at this time of day. I had just put all of my gear away when the sun broke out of the clouds and illuminated the light mist that was coming from the spray of the waterfall. I couldn't see this with the sun behind the clouds. I quickly got the gear back out and began shooting again. The still images weren't turning out like I wanted, so I switched to video. The sun kept going in and out of the clouds, so I ended up staying here another hour. Here are the photos from that position, but be sure to check the video below also.



I headed back up to the side view of the waterfall you first get when approaching the falls from the trail. A few people began to show up, so I chatted with them while patiently waiting for the kids to get out of the picture. I spent about 45 minutes more in this area and figured I had milked everything I could from the waterfall on this day. Instead of going anywhere else, I just called it a day and headed back to the house.





No comments:

Post a Comment